Far North Queensland Ports Corporation Limited, trading as Ports North, is a company Queensland Government Owned Corporation responsible for the development and management of the declared Ports of Cairns, Cape Flattery, Karumba, Mourilyan, Skardon River, Quintell Beach, Thursday Island, Burketown and Cooktown.
Ports North's operations and facilities are vital to the economic development of the regional centres they service and the State's tourism and export performance.
Our ports handle bulk shipments of sugar, molasses, silica sand, zinc, fuel, fertiliser, log product, livestock and general cargo.
Ports North also has extensive marina and tourism facilities, particularly in Cairns.
Ports North has a range of startegic land holdings, including approximately 207 hectares of freehold and 807 hectares of leashold Strategic Port Land and properties across its ports.
The shareholding Ministers are the Honourable Curtis Pitt, Treasurer, Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations and Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships; and the Honourable Mark Bailey, Minister for Main Roads, Road Safety and Ports, and Minister for Energy and Water Supply.
The Corporation’s Vision
To be a successful, sustainable port operator and a valued contributor to regional economic growth.
The Corporation’s Mission
To enable business and trade growth by:
- Providing and facilitating infrastructure
- Growing opportunities through sustainable business and regional economic development
- Connect locally and globally
The Corporation’s Values
- We are committed to providing the highest standard of safety for our workplace.
- We will be professional and responsive in seeking to deliver excellent service to all of our internal and external customers.
- We will seek to build effective relationships with the community and our stakeholders by being a responsible corporate citizen fostering social value and economic benefit to the region.
- We are committed to compliance with governance structure and procedures, transparent and accountable reporting and management of risk.
- We will promote co-operation and teamwork, ethical and honest behaviour, respect and integrity while providing opportunities for staff to develop and acquire skills needed to meet our objectives.
- We are committed to sustainable outcomes by acting in a commercially astute manner while considering risk and the environmental and social impacts of our activities to deliver sustainable commercial returns to shareholders.
The Corporate Objectives are to:
- Identify and develop new trade and business opportunities and grow existing business to provide value to Ports North and its shareholders.
- Manage and develop Port property to provide sustainable commercial return to Ports North and its shareholders.
- Plan, develop and manage Port infrastructure and assets to improve Port efficiency, meet the needs of our customers and contribute to sustainable regional development.
- Maintain organisational capability and a governance system to deliver the business requirements and maintain the organisation's reputation.
Address: Cnr Grafton & Hartley Streets, Cairns QLD Australia 4870
Postal: PO Box 594, Cairns QLD Australia 4870
Phone: + 61 7 4052 3888
Fax: + 61 7 4052 3853